Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Frank Frazetta

"Sea Witch"
by Frank Frazetta
22 x 15 inches
1967
Oil Painting
(CD Cover Wolfmother)

-Born in Brooklyn, New York, 1928
-Frazetta went to the Brooklyn Academy of Fine Arts until the age of 16.
-He did many comics like Flash Gordan, Li’l Abner, and Little Annie Fanny, as he worked on developing his personal style.
-He took a Z out of his name so it wouldn’t sound ‘Clunky’.
-Most of his work is not commissioned but the commercial industry tries to get permission to use it for whatever book cover, movie poster, or calendar they are producing.
-Sold an original comic painting for $380,000 which is a record for a single page of American comic-book artwork.
-He produced a movie called “Fire and Ice” that featured his art but the technology at the time didn’t fit very well with his art animated.
-His most famous covers are for Molly Hatchett (death dealer)(dark knight), Conan the barbarian, the old Tarzan novels, and Wolfmother’s debut album.
-Died last year, May, 2010.
-I chose this painting because I like the band and never knew about Frazetta until I looked up the album artwork. I think that if I did that, then other people would of as well and learned about Frank Frazetta. After I looked him up, I realized it wasn’t the first time I had seen his artwork since my Mom has some old Tarzan books with his art printed as the cover.
-Statement: “What I do is create images, period.



No comments:

Post a Comment